Friday, March 26, 2010

she's ok, really. REALLY!

Since the last time I posted, LOTS have happened, but I'll leave that to another post. This one is dedicated to the first time Chloë got a major BOO BOO!

It was a normal Thursday afternoon, the weather was great, and as we've been doing for the last few days of total sunshine and butterflies that we've been having, we've been hanging out in the patio and the backyard after Chloë comes home from daycare. Yesterday was no different. We kicked around a ball, pushed Chloë in her car, walked around looking for pine cones, and continuously told Chloë NOT to climb onto the picnic table. We must have scolded her a MILLION times "Chloë, don't STAND on the table, SIT on the bench." Over and over and OVER.

As one can imagine, our countless warnings and reminders did nothing to prevent what was mostly inevitable since Chloë learned how to climb onto the picnic table bench and onto the table. I was sitting on a chair a few feet away, and Josh was maybe 2 seconds from grabbing her as Chloë, for oh, maybe the 946th time, climbed onto the picnic table bench and started to try and get her momentum to swing herself onto the table and whoops, lost her balance. In the two seconds it took for her to not grab a hold of the table and actually dive headfirst onto the slate floor, Josh rushed over and I instinctively turned my head and closed my eyes. Yes, I refused to look. Not exactly what you'd think would be the first mom thing to do, but it's exactly what I did: I looked away. Josh missed her, and she fell head first onto the floor and hit her forehead. She screamed and screamed, and as Josh picked her up she immediately called for me at which point, I quickly composed myself, took a deep breath and opened my arms up for her. She hugged me immediately and just cried and cried. As I watched her face, and saw her tears, I was amazed at just how quickly the bruise and gigantic BUMP on her forehead appeared. Right before my eyes! We called the Doctor who told us these things usually look MUCH worse than they are (REALLY? Have you fallen off a picnic table headfirst onto the slate patio floor recently?) and instructed us to make sure her pupils looked normal, and she didn't throw up, and keep her up for a couple of hours.

We sat there watching her and trying to put ice on her forehead as she swatted us away saying "Não! Não!" and she seemed ok. She was back to playing in less than 10 minutes, and 12 minutes after her fall was once again trying to climb up the picnic table. Her forehead, on the other hand, is definitely indicative of the good fight she got into with the floor. All in all, major crisis averted.


no bump picture because, well, it looks awful!

1 comments:

Davi said...

I can 100% relate because Caden had his first really nasty fall last week. He stepped off the curb and lost his balance falling forward head first onto the pavement. FACEPLANT straight onto his nose and forehead. It just breaks your heart to see them in so much pain!