Friday, May 6, 2011

In Memoriam: Kyra



Tonight the house is empty.

After we put the kids to bed and put down our wine glasses, the stillness hit me. Without you, the house is empty.

In my mind I see the reel and still shots of your life.

I see you, barely a few weeks old, curling up around our arms and legs. They said you were the runt of the litter, but you looked perfect to me.

I see you sleeping on top of piles of clothes inside my closet. I feel your nose touching mine and your quick lick before you bounce away looking for mischief.

I see your face so alert as you expertly maneuver to run and jump commando style and agilely snatch an entire pizza slice off my hand.

I hear your slurping as you drink your breakfast of cheerios and milk because we've run out of puppy chow.

I smell your wetness as you sprint inside shaking the rain off your coat and leaving a wet trail behind.

I see your almost wicked grin as you snap into position after having relieved yourself on the bed in a fit if jealousy.

I hear your feet crunching on the winter ground and see your face looking up at me with a snow covered snout.


I see your eyes, searching for mine, as you wander around the house, looking for the perfect spot to sleep.


I feel your tail hit my leg as you steal an entire stick of butter and run outside before I catch you-you growl at me, and before I have a chance to take it away, your swallow the entire stick of butter.


I remember all these moments, and so many more. I see them so clearly, and I can still smell your coat, and I feel the softness of the hair on your ear, which was so much softer than anywhere else.


But tonight, you are gone. Tonight the house is empty.


-Dedicated to Kyra, who passed away on April 20th. We will miss you and love you always. This was written on the night of April 20th but was kept private until today. I just wasn’t ready to share.

0 comments: