Tuesday, September 22, 2009

lest I forget

and she is always quick to remind me why I love her so, so much I could burst. Even after evenings where she is cranky, and throwing ridiculous tantrums for no reason, the kind where she looks up at me and stomps her feet, one at a time, while belting out the most piercing cry you'll ever hear, even after all that, I can still smile moments later when she is happily snuggled up in my arms, nursing contently, tracing the features of my face, and staring at me with sleepy, sleepy eyes.

Last night was one of those nights, and as she shrieked and swatted my arms away as I tried to hold her, I stayed cool, calm and collected. The motherhood Gods rewarded me moments later with a baby that was just so, so tired, that as soon as we sat in her glider, she sighed and wrapped her arms around me, positioned herself just right, and barely started nursing before she was on her way, drifting off to sleep.

I held her a little while longer than usual, enjoying the moment. I breathed her in, and I kissed her goodnight.

0 comments: