Monday, July 19, 2010

The Bed Rest Debate

Maybe it's because five weeks of bed rest have started to wear me down, maybe I'm just using my brain too much, but I came across several articles pointing to the limited research available on pregnancy bed rest and raising questions about its benefits. The articles also touched a nerve when discussing the potential negative side effects of bed rest on some women, as I am still recovering from what was diagnosed after many, many months of pain, as Parsonage Turner Syndrome, or Brachial Plexitis on my left shoulder. It is safe to say I was a little taken aback and apprehensive about all these articles and publications I came across, to say the least.

This is the article that first jolted me to seek Dr. Google's advice (bad, BAD move...)

Followed by all these publications found on this website.

To be fair, I was not looking for any of this. I was merely searching for possible bed rest exercises to help prevent muscle atrophy. In the end, I have come out with serious questions and doubts, which deep in my heart, I know can't be answered sufficiently or alleviated because even without much evidence, if Dr. F. tells me bed rest is the best chance I have at keeping this little boy inside longer, I will do it without a blink of an eye.

0 comments: